Here’s what to do if you’re trying to upgrade to Norton Antivirus 2008 and getting the dreaded error message: “Setup has detected that LiveUpdate or AutoLiveUpdate is running. Setup will now abort.”:
- There is no easy way to kill the LiveUpdate processes or services once started. The only way around this is to prevent them from starting in the first place.
- Go to Start > Run, type services.msc to bring up the Windows Services.
- Find all the services that start with “LiveUpdate…”, “AutoLiveUpdate…” or “Symantec…” and right-click on each one of them and go to “Properties”.
- Set the “Startup Type” to Disabled.
- Restart your computer and the upgrade should go smoothly this time.
If you find a better way to do this, be sure to post it here for everyone’s benefit!