Upgrade issues with Norton Antivirus June 26, 2008Posted by exertia in Software.
Here’s what to do if you’re trying to upgrade to Norton Antivirus 2008 and getting the dreaded error message: “Setup has detected that LiveUpdate or AutoLiveUpdate is running. Setup will now abort.”:
- There is no easy way to kill the LiveUpdate processes or services once started. The only way around this is to prevent them from starting in the first place.
- Go to Start > Run, type services.msc to bring up the Windows Services.
- Find all the services that start with “LiveUpdate…”, “AutoLiveUpdate…” or “Symantec…” and right-click on each one of them and go to “Properties”.
- Set the “Startup Type” to Disabled.
- Restart your computer and the upgrade should go smoothly this time.
If you find a better way to do this, be sure to post it here for everyone’s benefit!